Sponsored by: Jonathan Kemp Horticulture
BEAUTIFUL GARDENS DESIGNED By People Who Understand Plants
These are some of the garden or horticultural jobs you should consider doing during the current month.
• Water hanging baskets and containers every day – twice if it’s hot and windy. Water other plants thoroughly once or twice a week – this is better than watering ‘little and often’ as it encourages them to put down roots. Use collected rainwater or recycled grey water whenever you can.
• Keep deadheading all your flowering plants – everything from containers, pots and hanging baskets to beds and borders. Feed them all occasionally with liquid feed.
• Repot any plants that are becoming root bound.
• Hoe borders and tackle bindweed as soon as you spot it (look for white, trumpet-shaped flowers) as it will quickly choke other plants.
• Surround strawberry plants with straw to keep the fruit off the soil and prevent botrytis which is grey mould. If you spot it, remove all infected fruits. Remember not to put them on the compost as this will spread the problem.
• Protect fruit trees, currant bushes and gooseberries with netting – or birds may eat your crop before you do.
• Even greenhouses can get too hot. Protect plants from scorching by painting relevant panes of glass with white emulsion to create shade. You can also damp down the floor of the greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity.
• Hoe borders regularly to keep down weeds
• Be water-wise, especially in drought-affected areas
• Pinch out sideshoots on tomatoes
• Harvest lettuce, radish, other salads and early potatoes
• Position summer hanging baskets and containers outside
• Mow lawns at least once a week
• Plant out summer bedding
• Stake tall or floppy plants
• Prune many spring-flowering shrubs
• Shade greenhouses to keep them cool and prevent scorch
Click this link https://caltrics.com/C5ZF2JLDHR for more information and to see other related events.
See popular calendars at https://caltrics.com
All Rights Reserved – Caltrics Ltd.
Available for Google Calendar, Android, Apple OSX, iPhone/iPad, and Outlook